Wednesday, August 20
(Undated) -- Cliff Richard opting out of an upcoming charity concert in light of the sex abuse claims against him. The UK's "The Guardian" says the singer decided to cancel his fundraising appearance at Canterbury Cathedral next month, because he doesn't want "the event to be overshadowed by the false allegations." Cliff was slated to perform the church benefit on September 26th.
Richard has been accused of sexually assaulting a boy under the age of 16 at a Billy Graham faith-based event in Sheffield, England in 1985. He's denied the claims, but is still working to build a strong defense. Sky News says the singer has hired criminal defense attorney Ian Burton, whose firm has represented a number of famous clients including Amy Winehouse and TV chef Nigella Lawson. They had a five-hour meeting on Monday at Richard's home in southern Portugal, where Cliff has been living since the raid on his UK home last week. Richard is one of Britain's most successful artists. He's best known in the U.S. for the 1970's hits "Devil Woman" and "We Don't Talk Anymore."